'Should We All Be Drinking Hydrogen-Rich Water?'

Hip

I happened to read your reply on irritability. I have this - a lot. So estriol worked?

Estriol worked for me, although if you are male, you probably would not want to take estriol continuously, as it does have some feminizing effects on the body (but only if you took high doses for say 6 months or more; I just take around 0.3 mg daily, for short periods of a few weeks).

Taking estriol transdermally is safer than orally (no increased cancer risk). I just rub the estriol cream on the skin of my arms (although the Ovestin® estriol cream is originally intended for intravaginal use).

Transdermal dosing is more efficient too: 1 mg of transdermal estriol is equivalent to around 5 mg of oral estriol (this because orally, the liver removes much of the estriol from the body quickly, via the first pass metabolism).

In this study using estriol to treat the autoimmunity in multiple sclerosis, they used an oral dose of 8 mg a day (equivalent of a transdermal dose of around 1.6 mg daily). It was effective at reducing MS lesions in the brain. I wanted to see if estriol might also help the assumed autoimmunity in ME/CFS, but being male, I am a bit worried about taking higher doses of estriol.

(Although if estriol were able to totally cure my ME/CFS, perhaps I'd be better of living as a healthy transvestite, rather than as an ill regular guy!)

Some ME/CFS patients report major remissions from ME/CFS during pregnancy; the interesting thing about pregnancy is that estriol levels are increased by about 1,000 times. This is what first made me think that estriol might be helpful in ME/CFS.

I found very low dose amisulpride was better, though, at reducing ME/CFS irritability. A study showed that low doses of this drug has benefits for ME/CFS. I found it provides several ME/CFS benefits (see this thread).

cherubim

I'm female. I was prescribed estrace cream, and estradiol patches. Is Ovestin prescribed or OTC? I had bought some on Amazon before, as it's safer than the horse urine-derived estrogen. I didn't know males took estradiol - but it makes sense because women have testosterone.

That's an interesting study - I had come across a research paper on how pain and the hormone system are inter-related. It's around somewhere, but I'm unorganized and don't know where. It's a good article.

I laughed - I understand your reasoning well! I'll take a look back on the thread. It caught my eye about the irritability. Pain is sure to cause it, but I wonder if there's something else going on.

What all do you take for oxidative stress?

Hip

I didn't know males took estradiol

Males are generally not supposed to take estriol, but I like to live dangerously! Actually, I think it is safe for males to take, because transvestite males take estriol and other estrogens on a long term basis, in order to feminize their bodies (grow breasts, and create softer more feminine skin). So you can take estriol, but the side effect in males is growing breasts.

Last edited:

cherubim

Thanks for the laugh - I needed it! I guess we all do what we can to get better.

It's driving me up a wall - I need to find Nrf2 activators to stop this oxidative stress. If I can find the right one, it will target all 3 of the body's own antioxidants. Protandim is heavily advertised, but I don't like MLM's. There has to be a pharmaceutical strength one sold somewhere. Let me know if you look into this and find anything.

Steve

Say, did H2 water cure all you folks so you stopped posting? This thread popped up when I started researching it because it was reco'd for FM for me to my relative in his meeting with a well known alternative M.D. I don't feel comfortable mentioning here. He was there for a different disorder. The initial post here is moving me towards buying the USB h2 generator mentioned earlier here by Cort. Any good results other than pretty not too bad LOL. I'll take that, tho, I think.

Hip

I found hydrogen rich water has a mood boosting effect, and so have been taking it regularly since this thread was started. It's not a massively strong effect, but I get comorbid depression alongside my ME/CFS, which is a hard to treat symptom, so anything that boosts mood even mildly is welcome.

Remy

Administrator
I agree. It's not a cure but I still drink it, not as much as before though.

Hopefully all these little things will add up!

Hip

On another forum in this post, I detailed some studies which found that many of the effects of hydrogen rich water are due to the ghrelin release it causes in the stomach. Ghrelin has mood boosting effects and antidepressant properties, as well as cognitive enhancing and neuroprotective effects.

The other interesting thing is that the amount of ghrelin released from drinking hydrogen rich water was found not to depend on the H2 concentration in the water: a study found that a weak 0.08 ppm hydrogen rich water released the same amount of ghrelin as 1.6 ppm hydrogen rich water.

So you don't have to worry that much about finding a hydrogen rich water maker that makes very concentrated solutions.

Steve

Thanks folks, appreciate it. Will order that Amazon gadget.
There must be a name for when folks start a thread with a flurry of hopes and info about a new gadget, supplement, treatment, post strong for a few months, then everyone disappears....

Remy

Administrator
Thanks folks, appreciate it. Will order that Amazon gadget.
There must be a name for when folks start a thread with a flurry of hopes and info about a new gadget, supplement, treatment, post strong for a few months, then everyone disappears....
I believe we call that "my life". ;)

Remy

Administrator
I love that!

There was some discussion on PR recently where someone said alternative medicine treatments are peddling "false hopes" to patients. And I felt like responding: "But I live by those false hopes! That's my whole life!"
Me too, @Hip, me too. Without trying new things and feeling hope in them, I don't know how I'd go on...

Hip

It's like those old prisoner of war movies: all the soldiers and officers are locked up in prison, but they keep morale up by working on their escape plans. And every now and then, some do pull off a successful escape.

That's the way I look at it. If you are in the prison of ME/CFS, the most obvious thing to do is try to escape!

Steve

That's a good way to put it and as long as they come up with supplements or new electronic neuro gadgets, especially with free trials, bring them on!

If would be great if the next one worked for me, though.

Hip

If would be great if the next one worked for me, though.

Occasionally you do hit upon treatment success: I must have tried 300 or 400 different supplements, and nearly 100 different drugs, and out of those, I would say that I have found a handful of drugs that are useful for various symptoms, and maybe a few dozen supplements that work for my various symptoms.

Most of those drugs, and many of those supplements, were ones that are known to help ME/CFS.

My main success was with my high dose selenium protocol. Before selenium, I was moderate level ME/CFS but edging into the severe category. But selenium made a valuable improvement, and now I am still moderate ME/CFS, but perhaps edging into mild ME/CFS.

I did not have any success with a lot of the standard treatments, though, like LDN, oxymatrine, inosine, the methylation protocol (although methylation helps my depression symptoms), Nexavir.

Steve

Not sure I've tried quite that number of supplements but did any meds and anything in pubmed vaguely suggestive of help with FM. I'm just about to start a modified I module neuro reintegration physical program similar to Z-health and have a new civilian version of Fisher Wllace electrical brain stimulator (one of numerous tried) from Indigogo coming in a few months. Nothing helps so far.
My life is kind of winding down faster than any cures are gearing up, though, I'm afraid.

Jeremy C.

Okay, you Hydrogen water people, have you tried this new supplement?
https://www.prohealth.com/shop/product.cfm/product__code/N1331

And if so, what did it do for you?
It is supposedly an antioxidant. And yet it feels like it may be detoxing things out of me.

Edited to add: I think it may be boosting my thyroid function. That could explain the detoxing.

I have just started on these tablets and they are amazing! Almost immediate results, which I would say are more energy, less pain and less of the general feeling of malaise and chronic inflammation. I have had a definite improvement in mood: far more than many other things I have tried that are specific to mood. The tablets are expensive, but I would recommend people to try them before looking at devices, just to see whether the hydrogen water benefits them. Just remember two things. The first is that you have to keep the hydrogen water in a tightly sealed container, otherwise you lose the hydrogen. The second is that you should drink a full glass of the water at a time. Don't just sip it. Your body needs to be saturated with hydrogen for it to work.

The only problem with the tablets is that they are so expensive, so I have been looking into the various other options: water ionizers and water sticks. Frankly, from what I have seen, I would stay well away from the cheap water ionizers. There is the possibility of doing yourself a lot more harm than good with these as chlorine and ozone are also produced by them. The water stick seems a good option. Again, I would stay away from the cheap ones. The Original Dr. Hayashi Hydrogen-Rich Water Stick seems the most trustworthy. Still not cheap though as it only lasts six months.

In the end I think I am going to go for the UltraStream water filter system, which provides molecular hydrogen at levels as high as the +$1000 water ionizers as well as filtering the water. It is Australian designed and American made (many of the Chinese materials in so many of the other ionizers are suspect and I really want to be careful when it comes to drinking water). The inventor explains them here:

It is still very expensive, but what I like about this company is that it actually gives you all the information and data, as opposed to the vagaries of others.

But judging from the results of the last couple of days, I would be recommending the tablets to all pwME. I'm really surprised these work so well. I bought them and had them sitting in a cupboard for a while before I tried them. So glad I did now!

Last edited:

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources