Stinging nettle is my friend!

bobby

[fright][bimg=no-lightbox]http://identifythatplant.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/100714-Stinging-nettle-2-768x1024.jpg[/bimg][/fright]I recently started using cat's claw. It's been ok, but I've been feeling extra fluey and a few days ago got a killer headache - possibly from whatever beasties being killed off?

I remembered something about nettle tea for cleansing, so I decided to try it.

Package said three cups a day. After two cups the headache and fluey feeling were gone! When I looked up the benefits of nettle tea, I was surprised what an awesome plant it is! So I thought I'd share :happy:

Stinging Nettle

- blood cleansing, detoxing, alkalizing, chelator of heavy metals
- remineralizing (iron and calcium), blood vessel dilator
- anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-allergic (soothes allergic symptoms)
- immune modulator: inhibits growth of pro-inflammatory cytokines, amongst other things
- speeds up metabolism

Apparently stinging nettle also cleanses the soil in which it grows. Pretty awesome little plant!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tammy7

That's great bobby!............it's one of the great adaptogens and is on Anthony's top list of essential supplements.
Did you end up increasing the Cats Claw or are you still at initial dosage?

Remy

Administrator
Nettles are awesome plants!

The nettle *seed* is also worth looking at, though it is much harder to find in supplement form.

Bear Medicine Herbals has this to say about the seed:

Winston and Kuhn specify Nettle seed as a trophorestorative for the kidneys, and I believe they may also serve the same function for the adrenals as well. Dried seed, when taken (chewed well, or ground) orally, promotes a sense of clarity, wellness, heightened energy levels, reduced stress and seemingly increased lung capacity.

They are especially effective for those suffering from severe burnout, resulting in profound fatigue, brain fog, chronic pain and alternating feelings of depression and intense anxiety. Nettle seed can lessen all of these symptoms, and sometimes eliminate them completely.

For some people, they can dramatically effect or shift perception, promoting a sense of connectedness, well-being and mild euphoria. Physical and mental stamina is usually increased, and exertion may seem more enjoyable to the individual. Several people have reported having their sense of color brightened and expanded, probably due to the mood altering effects.

Elk Mountain Herbs carries a seed product. The nettle *leaf* supplements are widely available as teas and regular capsule form supplements.

bobby

Did you end up increasing the Cats Claw or are you still at initial dosage?
no, I didn't. A killer headache started right after you said it's better to wait a week or two before increasing. So I thought I'd add nettle tea first and see what that would do. Maybe it'll help me with the increase, but I'm gonna wait one more week. Slow and steady is the way to go :penguin:

Who Me?

I've been looking into Quercetin lately and there are some combined with Nettle.

Yes @Remy I was reading that different parts of the plant do different things.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I'm going to try this. I'll report back on how it goes. I guess I can just pick up the tea from a health food store?

bobby

I guess I can just pick up the tea from a health food store?
That's what I did. As long as it's a good quality brand I think it doesn't matter where you buy it (just like with any herbal teas). Health food store is probably your best bet.

Tammy7

Besides the teas........Gaia nettle leaf capsules is a good supplement. Full spectrum nettle leaf caps, Natures Answer nettle leaf liquid.

Last edited:

bobby

I've had a pretty big patch of chronic urticaria on my back for well over a year now. Tried a few things, especially ointments, but nothing really worked.

Today I was pleasantly surprised to see that within the patch there are a few spots that have turned back into regular skin! Last time I checked it was right before starting the nettle tea, four days ago. Stinging nettle is supposed to be good for urticaria, so there you go! I'm a bit shocked to see how quickly this worked...

Tammy7

So glad you posted this bobby.............I'm totally going to be getting some nettle leaf for support the next time I increase the Cats Claw and other herbal anti-virals.

bobby

@Merry I thought about that too, but I think the mineral contents, especially iron, positively influence blood volume. So I don't think it's a problem.

Katie

Going to try it. Does it need to be taken with certain other supplements to boost the effect or take on it's own?

bobby

@Katie I take cat's claw before every meal and nettle tea after, just so that it's spread out. But I'm just playing it by ear, I have no idea what is recommended tbh

Remy

Administrator
For those with POTs it is a vasodilator. http://www.myteabenefits.com/nettle-tea-health-benefits/
(I am given vasoconstriction meds for POTs)
This whole vasoconstriction/vasodilation thing is complicated. But it's possible that for some people, POTS is a result of excessive vasodilation caused by histamine produced by mast cells. If that is the case, things like peppermint (menthol) and stinging nettle may actually be helpful because they act as natural antihistamines. However, it might also be risky to find out so I'd suggest discussing it with your appropriate herbalist or other health care provider.

For me, menthol and nettle have always made me feel better despite having conditions that would suggest vasodilators would be unwise. I might just be an oddity though.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources