Vegan Doctors

Issie

That is a significant result @Issie Thanks for sharing. :)

Is it the improved immune function the diet offers to fight the PR and Lyme?

I have so far in this short time on low fat noticed significant improvements since cutting oil out. A gnawing pain which I had left, lower back area has completely gone and the relief is palpable. This has been a worrying pain for me and with me for a long time. I keep on checking for it and feeling joyful when I can not find it lol.

I feel remarkably cleaner inside and tighter (perhaps less inflammation). This, so far is comparable to how I felt when cutting out gluten, which was a major find, except this is next level stuff and am loving the results.

I am not even craving fat but feeling repulsed at the idea of it because I am filling up on as much carbs as I want.

So I am off oil/fat now and that transition is completed. Will just steadily carry on and learn more.
Good going.
I recently added back a grass-fed hamburger - once a month and tried to do fish once a month. If fish isn't off the boat fresh, I have an allergic reaction to it. It's a high histamine causer. But, I'm not thinking this will be something I keep doing. That couple of times, didn't hurt me.

Somehow fat is connected to the proliferation of the protozoa. I'd have to look it back up if you want to know the specifics. However., my doc is allowing us some whole food fatty veggies now and limited nuts. Just nothing refined and no pressed oils.

I'm much better having gone vegan. Much healthier. You do however need the B12 and make sure you get enough plant proteins. Did you know broccoli has more protein than a steak? Look it up - it's true.

Issie

Last edited:

Issie

It's so hard to be lowfat vegan when so many are talking up keto diets. I will have to admit, I didn't feel like I was getting enough fat until I added coconut milk and coconut cream. I also use a vegan source of DHA. The brain is made up of alot of fat. Some of It is necessary for proper brain function. Dr Gregory doesn't seem to limit whole foods that are more fatty. I tend to be thinking more in that direction. But I moderate how much. I was whole hearted into Dr McDougall diet. I still have higher carbs. I do however limit my grains. I don't want GMO corn, I don't do real well with rice and I'm gluten free. I also read labels and avoid soy. Most in this country is GMO too and i dont do well with it. So that is limiting. Until recently, I ate alot of potatoes. With elimination diets, I realized I'm reacting to the nightshade family. So limiting those now too. Still leaves plenty of other things. We enjoy doing whole food smoothies. There is a vegan protein powder we use called Plant Fusion along with hemp protein. We put fruits and vegetables in. I also add turmeric and other spices to changes flavors and give extra health benefits.

My recent thing is trying fasting with liquids only. I do include one of those smoothies. But nothing to chew. Making great gains with it.

Issie

Empty

It's so hard to be lowfat vegan when so many are talking up keto diets

Yes. It can be. Quinoa and Sweet potato maybe helpful @Issie?

I have only just properly understood the importance of the "low fat" aspect, nothing to do with the "low fat fad diets".

Now, I have understood it, felt a real cleanse taking place, I wish I had done this years ago, which is why I am so disappointed at not having a vegan Doctor who may have helped me to it faster. If I am eating enough calories in plant based foods, all my nutritional needs are met. I check this via chronometer and am doing well.

I do intend to supplement with b12. But I have had such a bad reaction to supplements in the past that I want to make gains on this diet first, since my b12 levels are fine, I will be alright for now. Just looking into it now.

I did try a bioglan powder a few months back and was thrilled that I seemed to be tolerating it, however I did catch a nasty virus and crash and feel it may have been a contributing factor since supplements have caused numerous crashes over the years.

There is a vegan keto diet, but I firmly have come to believe that it is not the right way to go, especially compared to the hclf and the results I am now, finally getting. (I failed at all raw)

But spontaneous fasting for short and long periods has been very helpful along the way.

Also, I want the calories! I want my body to be used to handling the calories so that hopefully when my fitness levels go up, I am already on the optimal athletic diet. :)

Empty

The US opened the first Vegan medical centre in 2016!

Compared to that, the UK is dreadfully behind and Doctors/nutritional professionals are prescribing paleo for those with cfs/me which is preposterous, especially considering the science.

Putting the ethics, environment and animal cruelty issues aside and focusing on health alone here:

"Meat is a probable carcinogen, processed meat causes Cancer. Expert committee came together to determine this. The Science is solid" (Dr.Gregor)

Meat & Dairy industry is akin to the tobacco industry in its tactics and biased media coverage, out-of-date Doctors. Twisting the Science and mis-information is causing people to die to serve big business interest. There is no broccoli lobby.

"There is only one diet ever, been proven to reverse heart disease in the majority of patients, a plant based diet. If that is the only thing a plant based diet can do, reverse a number one killer, number two killer here in the UK, shouldn't that be the default diet until proven otherwise?

And the fact that it can also prevent, arrest or reverse other leading killers, type 2 diabetes, hypertension... would seem to make the case simply overwhelming.. there is only one diet ever proven to do that, its hard to cherry pick when there is only one cherry" Dr. Gregor

Last edited:

Empty

The residue "bruise" feeling has now left, which was what remained from the gnawing pain, sometimes like a migraine pain, I discussed above located on my lower left back. It was very draining and just something I got used to putting up with.

I must have checked it a hundred of times yesterday and smiled every single time when it wasn't there lol.

Its a real novelty, getting results since usually I put in the work, put in the effort and my health decreases :)!

I had the best monthly cycle I have EVER experienced with hardly any PMT (only the day before and not one to two weeks of feeling way past a labour date, and NO pain at all and no pain in the knees either which also comes at the monthly time (otherwise I do not have knee pain). I think this can only be from the low fat part of the hclf. I am reminding myself here so that I don't go forgetting.

Being rather excited by this, other symptoms I want to see the back of :): red crescent at the back of my throat, which also worsens when I am more severe.

Sinusitis
Intermittant throbbing, sore throat
Stiff neck.
Tinnitus
If possible, PEM.
Swollen lymph nodes.
Foggy Brain etc.

The pain in my eyes/eye muscles went a couple maybe of years ago when I took large amounts of fruit, I think it was the vitamin C. I occasionally get a reminder of it, but it doesn't last long as I just eat more fruit.

I think I would really benefit from herbal medicine, now that my system is well enough, but there is just no-one in the UK who has the thorough knowledge of M.E/CFS and nutrition AND herbs!

So just carry on down the slow detox and re-nourish route.

Its whether it holds or not though isn't it.

Empty

http://latestvegannews.com/plant-based-medical-center-now-open-washington-dc/#

Plant based medical centre will see 4,000 patients a year in Washington.

Dr. Neabore explains that many doctors haven’t had the appropriate training in nutrition, and aren’t aware of the many health benefits a plant-based diet has to offer.

“In the United States and in many other Western countries, people are living longer but not better,” he explains. “They are unable to enjoy their favorite activities due to progressive disability as they age.

We now know that this often stems from a lifetime of poor dietary choices. We want to educate our patients and enable them to lead healthful, fruitful lives.”

Empty

Update on spudfit. He is doing super well.
He has had criticisms from "Dietician" shills and addresses these well in this video.
1000% inspirational. :)

Empty

Update. I am nearly a month on High Carb Low fat now and it is so far going seriously well.

It is like my body is sculpting itself at night and making me look really fit! I was not overweight but my arms felt flabby and now they are looking toned as are other parts. :) I am looking better.
My energy and stamina is improved but I am still having to pace.

I have moved my bed back into my bedroom and do not need it during the day at all.
I went for a bike ride, and it was ok but am leaving that for now as I think this will hinder me as I need to build some more core strength.

I am still needing to sleep a lot, but have a much better quality of energy when awake.
I ate a bag of cashew nuts that was put in front of me, this has been my only error, and the oil tasted rancid. Bitter and disgusting. So my taste buds must have changed significantly as I had been enjoying them prior to this change to low fat. It did feel like poison to my body.

The only other thing to report was a strange and strong cramping pain across my middle back which lasted for two days. It then went and has not returned. I was just pleased it was not that migraine like pain I had for years in lower left back. So essentially just laughed my way through it.

Since things are going well and I am feeling stronger I am just adding in some B12 spray (my blood tests results always show perfect levels of B12 without supplementation).

It does say on the bottle to take 43,000% rda of it! Seems a LOT. 4 sprays in the mouth. £12 a bottle. Seems to be going ok though.

Last edited:

Issie

Good to hear. The diet has been a life saver for me too.

There are 4 kinds of B12. Go slow and low. If you have a methylation issue, some are not as good as others. You may need more than one kind too.

Issie

Empty

Good to hear. The diet has been a life saver for me too.
There are 4 kinds of B12. Go slow and low. If you have a methylation issue, some are not as good as others. You may need more than one kind too.

Issie

Thanks @Issie.

I don't want to speak too soon, because well, most of us have all been here before (apart from those who became severely ill and just progressively worsened)
but this diet feels great for my body, sustainable and like next level results that I obtained from going Gluten Free, which I would never go back to eating.

Methylation is something I have not studied because of the diverse opinion and complication. I did test low glutathione as per RV theory though.

A droplet of this stuff is probably 1000% rda. I am looking now, the brand is "Better You" and it is methylcobalamin b12.

It also contains 100% chromium and .5mg green tea extract which I have just noticed.

I just stopped having serious reactions to things quite some time ago now and it has held. Very gentle detoxing, lymph drainage was the key to this I think. I hope I do not start having problems from this b12 spray. Maybe I only need one spray a week?!! (12,000%)

Last edited:

Empty

Have revised my b12 spray plan and will consume 1 spray a week. (12,000%) instead of the bottle recommendation of four sprays a day (48,000%).

Issie

Have revised my b12 spray plan and will consume 1 spray a week. (12,000%) instead of the bottle recommendation of four sprays a day (48,000%).
I use mine every other day. I use sublingual Methyl B12. And on my off day, Methyl Folate. But I have MTHFR issues.

Issie

Empty

I use mine every other day. I use sublingual Methyl B12. And on my off day, Methyl Folate. But I have MTHFR issues.

Issie

Yes, I expect it is helpful to be able to target for specific issues like that.

Empty

Very fascinating interview. Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jn teaches Doctors: thriving on a wholefood plant based diet without oil

Empty

Being re-assured by the many who are healing from MS, auto-immune diseases on this HCLF diet. Twitching, numbing and knee giving out are all symptoms the NHS ignored in me. This lady got referred to a neurologist.

I am needing instant sleep when it hits suddenly but since I am waking up from it refreshed, am rolling with it.

In this video the lady had been diagnosed with MS and ended up in emergency as her body was shutting down. After two years on the McDougall plan, without drugs, she healed: mood swings/anxiety/ dizziness/insomnia/lesions in the brain and all the tests concluded there was no sign or symptoms of MS left on her scans. So pretty awesome outcome.

Am I cured yet? Not yet. :)

Last edited:

Empty

Update: second monthly cycle on this lfhc diet and its like a dream. This is unprecedented in 30 years. Yesterday I was feeling a bit emotional (hormonal) nothing to do with this last week I had an acute stressful situation to deal with.

And today, the lower left back ache has been there with a niggling pain of around a 2 out of 10, which has gone now, so a morning of a slight niggle and slight numbness. But I have been up and about doing chores for hours and it hasn't stopped me. I could feel a slight ache in the lymph in my legs and knees - however this has almost cleared up and there is NO PAIN IN MY KNEES. It is just brilliant. Incidentally, I think the psychobabblers got hold of the pain in the knees thing and say its psychosomatic lol. They get everywhere.

Now, I have tried a few different themes of diet and when I was for a while on a vegan but higher fat, this pain was sometimes unbearable and always problematic. I think there is a big chance that these results are from the low fat (and no oil) part of the hclf plant based diet. I wonder if this was the key when every now and again there would be particurlarly unbearable pain, if I had been eating a lot of fried food or high fatty food or adding like coconut oil to my smoothies etc.

I love seeing strong signs like this of progress - its a real novelty lol. Hopefully this will continue - can only wait and see.

Empty

The residue "bruise" feeling has now left, which was what remained from the gnawing pain, sometimes like a migraine pain, I discussed above located on my lower left back. It was very draining and just something I got used to putting up with.

I must have checked it a hundred of times yesterday and smiled every single time when it wasn't there lol.

Its a real novelty, getting results since usually I put in the work, put in the effort and my health decreases :)!

I had the best monthly cycle I have EVER experienced with hardly any PMT (only the day before and not one to two weeks of feeling way past a labour date, and NO pain at all and no pain in the knees either which also comes at the monthly time (otherwise I do not have knee pain). I think this can only be from the low fat part of the hclf. I am reminding myself here so that I don't go forgetting.

Being rather excited by this, other symptoms I want to see the back of :): red crescent at the back of my throat, which also worsens when I am more severe.

Sinusitis
Intermittant throbbing, sore throat
Stiff neck.
Tinnitus
If possible, PEM.
Swollen lymph nodes.
Foggy Brain etc.

The pain in my eyes/eye muscles went a couple maybe of years ago when I took large amounts of fruit, I think it was the vitamin C. I occasionally get a reminder of it, but it doesn't last long as I just eat more fruit.

I think I would really benefit from herbal medicine, now that my system is well enough, but there is just no-one in the UK who has the thorough knowledge of M.E/CFS and nutrition AND herbs!

So just carry on down the slow detox and re-nourish route.

Its whether it holds or not though isn't it.

Need to get more organised in my record keeping. So this quote is cycle one. Post above cycle 2 results. One was always a lot worse every other month - I presume it would be this one - but its been a walk through the park. Not seeing any major improvement yet in other symptoms.

Empty

Here is the McDougall Newsletter on Thyroid Health:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/december/thyroid.htm

The cause is considered to be unknown, but as with other autoimmune diseases (type-1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, etc.), the rich Western diet is the likely source. (The immune system is tricked by animal proteins that people consume to attack their pancreas, joints, brain, thyroid and other tissues by a process known as molecular mimicry.)

Most doctors believe that slight decreases in thyroid hormone production, seen by an increase in TSH level into the range of 2.5 mU/L to10 mU/L, should be left untreated.2 However, I hold a “minority opinion” on this issue and often recommend treatment for these laboratory results for several reasons. Many people with a mild elevation of TSH go on to develop definite hypothyroidism—early supplementation will prevent them from becoming clinically hypothyroid, if and when their condition progresses. Treatment of mild deficiency has been shown to relieve troublesome symptoms, like fatigue and muscle dysfunction, and improve mental performance. 3,4
However, the most important reason that I treat mild elevations of TSH is to reduce the risk of future coronary artery (heart) disease. People with elevated TSH levels have higher cholesterol levels and treatment with thyroid hormone supplements will lower their total and LDL cholesterol levels.3,4 This elevation of cholesterol associated with a slightly higher TSH level translates into an increased risk of heart disease due to blocked coronary arteries.5 Treatment has been found to reduce thickenings in the walls of the arteries—a condition associated with a higher risk of heart attacks and strokes.6 Mild hypothyroidism is associated with an increased risk of congestive heart failure among older adults.7 Finally, the overall risk of death may be increased by a mild decrease in thyroid activity as reflected in a slight elevation of TSH.5

It has been claimed that patients with hypothyroidism show greater improvements in mood and brain function if they receive treatment with Armour thyroid rather than Synthroid (levothyroxine).8 This conclusion is based on a 1999 study published in the New England Journal of Medicine that actually tested a synthetic mixture of levothyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), rather the pig-derived Armour preparation.9 The study showed some of the measures for mental performance, mood and physical status were improved in people taking the combination of both forms of thyroid hormone, rather than the single hormone, levothyroxine. Such a revelation caused quite a stir in the medical community because doctors are traditionally taught that using levothyroxine alone is the best way to treat hypothyroidism.
In response, several studies were performed to try to verify these findings. Contrary to the New England Journal of Medicine study, each of the newer studies failed to find an improvement in mood or mental performance with the combination over single hormone therapy.1a, 10-15 One study reported a higher risk of overdosing patients—causing hyperthyroidism accompanied by feelings of impaired well-being—due to the fast-acting T3 mixed in with the preparation.11 Considering all of the research to date, levothyroxine (the single hormone) alone should remain the treatment of choice for replacement therapy of hypothyroidism.14 (There is some pharmaceutical industry money funding this conclusion, so as always, I reserve my right to change my opinion on drug therapy.)
Some of the reasons for caution are because of its quick onset and short duration of action T3 can cause rapid and irregular heartbeats and be difficult to monitor. All of the T3 we require is naturally produced in our body from T4—the tissues slowly and safely make a metabolic conversion of some of the T4 to T3.

Many patients I see express a desire for “natural therapies.” Therefore, it should be no surprise to hear that they want to avoid taking synthetic thyroid (levothyroxine); and instead request a “natural” preparation, like the Armour brand. Extracts made from the glands of animals contain several forms of the thyroid molecule, including T3 and T4—and some doctors consider this an advantage, while most research does not support this viewpoint.
The original treatment of hypothyroidism developed back in 1891 was made from extracts from the thyroid glands of sheep. Since then the desiccated glands of other animals, including cows and pigs, have been used. The process of making this medication begins with removing the animal’s thyroid gland, then drying it, and finally grinding it into a powder. Because of variations in concentrations of active hormones in the animal’s glandular tissues the potency of the preparations can vary greatly—people have developed serious side effects from natural thyroid products that contained greater-than-expected amounts of T3. Because of the “foreign” animal tissues used natural thyroid supplements can also cause “allergic-type” reactions, especially in people known to be allergic to animal proteins.

One potential problem that has received no serious investigation is the risk of contracting infection from consuming glandular tissues in pill-form. Much work has been done showing animal-borne microbes can be spread to people by eating animals as food16,17—and there is every reason to believe the same can occur when dried animal tissues sold as medications are consumed. Cancer, including leukemia, viruses and AIDS-like viruses are commonly found in cows and pigs.18-,19 These viruses are known to infect people.20 Could these supplements be an unintended media for the spread of prion-based brain diseases, like mad cow disease? There are many reasons to believe that this is a real risk.21,22
The deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu has recently been found in pig populations.23 History may be repeating itself. The deadly human influenza virus of 1918 that killed more than 20 million people worldwide was a mutation of a swine flu virus that evolved from American pigs and was spread around the world by US troops.24
Since there has been essentially no effort by the livestock industry in most (but not all) countries to clean up their animals, hundreds of different kinds of infectious microbes are being consumed by billions of people. Therefore, to protect yourself and family there is every good reason to not eat these animals and their byproducts, including glandular extracts, like “natural” thyroid extract. (For more information see my February 2004 newsletter article: Widespread Infection with Leukemia Virus from Meat and Milk.)

His newsletter states that once the thyroid tissue is destroyed there is no way to regenerate it or make the other gland to work harder.

Also iodine (from sea vegetables) will neutralise any risk from goitrogenic foods harming the thyroid.

I am disappointed in this:

Thyroid supplementation is one of the very few treatments I commonly prescribe. (See my November 2004 newsletter for a more complete list of McDougall-used medications.) For my patients with a damaged thyroid gland, correcting hypothyroidism with the right amount of levothyroxine can be an inexpensive medical miracle without side effects

Because I feel that McDougall would be finding a way to treat the thyroid withouth supplementation if there was one.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources