How to Be Broke & Medicated - for People with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS - by Lily Silver

How to Be Broke & Medicated - for People with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS - by Lily Silver

Medications, Supplements & Lab Tests

If you can’t afford the treatment you need, don’t give up hope just yet. Try these things first.

[fright]
decadence-robin-mead-2.jpg
[/fright]Some of these programs require low-income. Some do not. And some think "low-income" means "less than $75,000 per year."​

Rest assured, these programs do work. How a Bunch of Different People Got a Bunch of Different Meds Real Cheap. If these folks can do it, you can do it too!

Local Programs
  • Try contacting low-income healthcare programs in your area and inquire about prescription assistance. Make sure to check all types of programs: clinics, centers, and hospital financial aid programs.
  • You can also try asking your doctor if they can prescribe a cheaper medication, or one that is covered by your health insurance.

State Programs
National Programs
  • NeedyMeds - drug discount program
  • Good RX - drug discount program with some fantastic savings
  • RxAssist - database of patient assistance programs
  • Rx Outreach - over 400 free or discounted medications
  • RX Access provides savings to low income people
  • RxHope your doctor, nurse or caseworker will fill out a form
  • Patientservices - Good program for certain expensive medications.
Supplements
Buying Drugs from other Countries
Medicaid - Try again!
Lab Tests
  • Direct-Access Testing - Save money if paying out-of-pocket.
  • Some laboratories have financial aid programs that will allow you to get bloodwork and other tests for free! Here’s an example of one from Quest Labs.
Doctors Visits
Co-Payments & Premiums
Lyme Disease
Help Navigating All of This
Be Less Broke
Tips from the Pros:

"You do not have to be really poor to qualify for some of these programs. Some programs consider you low income if you make less than $75,000 per year"

"I know several people who depend on Free Prescription Discount Cards for their medications. The amount of discounts vary greatly depending on the type of card, the pharmacy you use and the medication. Look for Free Prescription Discount Cards. This is different than paid prescription card memberships."

"Do not pay anyone for info on free or low cost meds or medical care. There are some sites that charge for this info. You do not have to have someone else find this info. The same info is available to you that is available to the people that charge for this info."

"When you apply for a program, it can take a few weeks for everything to get started so you shouldn't wait until you're almost out of your current prescription."

"Some pharmacies have home delivery services. If you are too sick to pick-up your medications, your local taxi company will often pick-up and deliver your medication for a fixed cost."

"In Canada, the province of Ontario will cover the cost of supplements for certain mitochondrial diseases. Learn more here and here. For dentistry, which is not covered by our healthcare, some colleges & universities will offer discounted and/or free dental care and/or procedures".
Check out more of Lily's guides on how to navigate “the system” on Health Rising:
Check out Lily's website "How to Get On" for more.
Author
Kit Cat
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

More resources from Kit Cat

Latest updates

1. Less broken

I have fixed a few broken links and added in a few new resources Also, I want to point out...
  2. Still broke! Still medicated!

I added a few new things: free or discounted lab tests financial aid for lyme testing a few...

Latest reviews

Wow...what a great overview! Five stars!
Kit Cat
Kit Cat
thank you cort :)
Great info!
Kit Cat
Kit Cat
thank you

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT