Brain Fog is likely mast cell and glial inflammation.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
To: Who me? I hope you understand - there was no offense intended. You sound like a caring person. I am in a race to find answers for my health issues - I'm sure we all are. Had I known you would have been irritated at the medical worker's remark, I would not have repeated it. I had no way of knowing. I try to pass on information that I learn, in the hope that it will help someone else.

I believe it was you who suggested the Memantine and Ibidulast - I ordered it. I received the Ibidilast and started it, and am tolerating it well. Since this is a brain fog thread, I came across information again at how inflammation is at the root of it all - then it points to digestion again. But my brain is so filled with medical journals - I have not found conclusive answers.

I came across documentation that SOD - Superoxide Dismutase - works to help brain inflammatory conditions. The problem is, SOD is not absorbed readily, as it is broken down in the digestive system. You can try the GliSODin - which is SOD bound to a wheat protein, or liposomal SOD. I didn't want to take wheat, so i've been combing the internet and can't find where to buy it.

Cort - you are probably already 10 steps ahead of me on this - but did you ever do an article on SOD ? Theoretically, since it controls inflammation, it could help brain fog/ other issues. Maybe you/ someone else found a good place to buy it.
Actually I'm ten steps behind (lol). I've never done a blog on SOD.

By the way when someone does @Cort - where is that supposed to show up? I never seem to get the alert - is it in the alert section? (which I never look at (lol))

cherubim

I guess none of us know what another person knows:) You may know all of the following, but didn't do a blog yet. SOD is found low in some inflammatory disorders and is instrumental in fighting ROS. I couldn't find any good ways to raise SOD & Catalase besides using the SOD with gliadin (wheat protein). I found one expensive cream - so I ended up trying the SOD with gliadin. That defeats my trying to remain wheat & gluten-free, but it comes down to what you can afford.

Don't know if you did a blog on Nrf2 activators either. They are what instruct the body to release it's own antioxidants. There are natural things, like sulforaphane that work. From what I read, oxidative stress is behind many disorders. The pharmaceuticals apparently pack more punch, but don't know if they're on the market yet - unless someone has found them overseas. I'd love to try one.

Veet

By the way when someone does @Cort - where is that supposed to show up? I never seem to get the alert - is it in the alert section? (which I never look at (lol))
Hi Cort. Yes, the red flag at top right of any forum page. :banhappy::)

A poster on Reddit earlier talked about how a steroid Prednisone (for a breathing problem) had massively cleared up his brain fog: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/comments/53kgsd/could_inflammation_be_my_cause_of_brain_fog/

Steroids definitely don't seem like a good recommendation (long term), and this guy had a lot of general inflammation in joint issues, etc, so I don't know if clearing that up was the main factor there...?

Also mentions NSAIDs - a high dose of ibuprofen (2 grams) clearing his mind. So aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen (or Paracetamol) helped anyone?

A comment there linked to Lostfalco's original article, as it happens, so I linked to this thread. ;-)

On a separate note, what about glutathione, e.g. as an IV therapy? I was reminded of this facebook update from the Paleo Mom (Sarah Balantyne) and how wonderfully brain soothing this sounded:
[...] that gluathione tends to be low in many autoimmune diseases [...]

Unfortunately, most glutathione supplements don't enter the body intact since they are very easily digested.[...]

I feel good in a way that's difficult to describe. It's not particularly relaxed, or particularly energetic. [...] I guess the best description is that I feel clear and focused in a way I haven't for a while.
Cropper2016-09-20-18-46-29-7219894.jpg
Anyone else had good brain times with intravenous nutrition? She links here. I know old Ray Kurzweil has regular IV nutrients too, as part of living forever, but imagine his might have unicorn tears in too, or something very expensive...

SueS

I look back fondly on the time I was on prednisone. I definitely experienced a brain lightening with that. I understand how it can be addictive

SueS

Re ordering from Mimaki pharmacy

Has anyone had any probs? I'm trying to enter my credit card details and it keeps telling me i have entered invalid characters in the name section when I haven't .

??

Remy

Administrator
Re ordering from Mimaki pharmacy

Has anyone had any probs? I'm trying to enter my credit card details and it keeps telling me i have entered invalid characters in the name section when I haven't .

??
That happened to me too once. I think i tried a different card the next day and it processed.

They are responsive to email, reasonably fast (within 1-2 days). Maybe shoot them an email and see if they can tell you what the problem is?

SueS

Thanks, all. I used my partner's card and now the ibudilast sits in my PO box like a (kinda boring rrally) early Christmas present.

@Remy did you have any teething issues starting up galantamine? I took my first one this afternoon and like @rebar slept heavily for several hours. I'm willing to give it another try on another day where I wasn't wiped to begin with but do wonder if this reaction means I'll always react like this.

Or maybe i is one of the fillers - silicon dioxide or microcrystalline cellulose.

Last edited:

Remy

Administrator
Thanks, all. I used my partner's card and now the ibudilast sits in my PO box like a (kinda boring rrally) early Christmas present.

@Remy did you have any teething issues starting up galantamine? I took my first one this afternoon and like @rebar slept heavily for several hours. I'm willing to give it another try on another day where I wasn't wiped to begin with but do wonder if this reaction means I'll always react like this.

Or maybe i is one of the fillers - silicon dioxide or microcrystalline cellulose.
I didn't but I'm not particularly sensitive to things so I might not be the best one to ask.

Maybe try a smaller amount too?

SueS

Yes, i woke up thinking my usual rush-in-at-full-dose strategy may need tweaking on this one. Takes a long time to unlearn that approach ☺ Thanks, @Remy

Hiver

Have any of you early birds started to notice any effect from Ibudilast yet?

How long is the half-time of Ibudilast?

As Ibudilast supresses Cytokyines: would it affect blood test results?

(I apologize for my need to be short/direct.)

Last edited:

rebar

I'm curious too, as I didn't get anything out of it after a couple of months. Maybe I didn't give it a long enough trial, but now Im cutting out most everything, it seems nothing I ever do helps. Actually the less I do the better I feel.

SueS

Mean half life of ibudilast is 19 hours. Median is 4-6 hours. According to this.

That's for healthy people.

Maybe for us it would be, like, 4,365 hours.

Or .6 of a second

:)

Remy

Administrator
Have any of you early birds started to notice any effect from Ibudilast yet?
I am still feeling pretty not bad (knock on wood!) but I haven't stopped the ibudilast to try to tell if it is playing a major role or not.

I'm willing to give it a longish term trial based on the evidence and Dr Younger's interest in it though. I would think it could take some time to reverse kindling in the glial cells, maybe.

I'm still taking 10 mg twice a day.

cherubim

Hi - I bought Ibudilast from the recommendation of someone here. It works good - so I went to reorder and Mimaki Pharmacy doesn't have it. Does anyone know where to find it?

thx!

Remy

Administrator
Hi - I bought Ibudilast from the recommendation of someone here. It works good - so I went to reorder and Mimaki Pharmacy doesn't have it. Does anyone know where to find it?

thx!
I think that the cheaper Pinatos may have been discontinued but the more expensive Ketas is still available.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources