POTS Inexplicably Improves After Topical DMSO Applications

Issie

Thanks Cort for the congrats. DMSO definitely feels like it's becoming a game changer for me. Every time I get up in the morning and see the bottle of it on my bathroom counter, I feel grateful and have HOPE, something that's been in short supply the past couple of years. The way I see it, is the various ways to experiment with and use DMSO is only limited by our imagination, especially with its ability to be a carrier of other substances into our bodies.

Re: Magnesium Oil. Bryan Rosner, who cured himself of Lyme and has written several books on treating Lyme (and who I have a high regard for), just wrote a really good article on magnesium and magnesium oil entitled:

July Supplement of the Month: Magnesium Oil (Old Topic, New Protocol) by BRYAN on JULY 10, 2016

This is his beginning note:

(Note: Many of you, and myself as well, have used magnesium supplements. However, personally, I started achieving incredible results when I stopped using regular magnesium supplements and started following the below protocol. So, even if you’ve taken magnesium in the past, keep reading, this is important).

There was also a thread over at PR started by Sherpa that I thought was very good, whose first post read as follows. His illustrated guide offers good insights and details

I've made it a priority since late last year to apply magnesium oil virtually every day to my skin, and have definitely experienced some of its calming effects as a result. I've come to believe that treating Lyme (which I have) while dealing with a magnesium deficiency can not only be relatively futile, but perhaps even dangerous. I read the same thing about iodine from a testimonial a few years ago. A guy with Lyme absolutely couldn't tolerate the dieoff reactions from doing Lyme treatment until he raised his deficient iodine levels.
Interesting. I just recently added magnesium oil. My doc would not be happy with me. He says Lyme and Protomyzoa Rehumatica usE magnesium to help proliferate themselves. It helps form biofilms too. There are other docs that think calcium and iron are the "cause". I think my avoiding magnesium for so long has caused more problems than helping. I think I'm really deficient in magnesium now and avoiding it hasn't seemed to make that much difference with eliminating the protozoa. So, I use it a few times a week. I am having lots of inflammation issues and wonder if the DMSO would be doable for me. Thanks for the info.

Issie

Issie

Hmmm, the article from Bryan won't stay up. An ad for his website to subscribe takes over. Any chance you can copy and paste it?

Wayne

That's great to hear about intracranial pressure - since its pretty clear that it is increased in me and probably many other people. Check out a blog on it: http://www.healthrising.org/blog/20...rebral-spinal-fluid-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

Thanks Cort for the link to the blog; I'll definitely check it out.

You asked earlier how long I've been using DMSO. I bought a bottle about ten years ago or so, and don't even remember what my experiences were--apparently not life altering. I started using it again about 2-3 months ago and tried it on a shingles outbreak (I was feeling a bit desperate). I then got a terrible chest cold about two months ago, so I experimented with applying the DMSO to my chest.

It was during this time of treating my chest cold that I began to notice a new relaxation in my whole body, and a lessening of pressure in my head. This trend continued when I began to apply it liberally to my sore lower back about a month ago. Since I had read about DMSO's extraordinary ability to reduce intracranial pressure, I assumed that was why I was getting these good results. When I visited my chiropractor (who does energetic treatments) a short while later, he commented on the pressure in my head and skull being far less than at any time since I began to see him.

When I got the ultra-pure DMSO, I felt comfortable applying it even more liberally. I began to apply more on my back, and then some on the front of my neck, thinking it might perhaps improve my thyroid function. It then occurred to me to apply it more liberally to the back of my neck, especially on the base of the skull where the cranial nerves exit the brain stem and spread out throughout the body. In doing so, I thought I would at a minimum be stimulating the vagus nerve.

Very interestingly, DMSO has been documented to successfully treat paralysis (and prevent it as well). In short, it has a remarkable ability to impact brain, nerve and spinal cord function, probably because it can significantly improve circulation and reduce inflammation. In the case of paralysis, it can take time, from several months to a year or more.

So the effects of DMSO application can be cumulative, which is why I'm optimistic about what it might do for me going forward. Especially if I combine it with various kinds of essential oils, which can be very powerful just by themselves... Not to mention being able to penetrate deeper into the spinal cord and brain when combined with DMSO.

Of note, I've also been experimenting with occasionally applying the combination of DMSO and magnesium oil over my entire body. When I do this, I get a subtle and pleasant sensation similar to experiencing a niacin flush, both of which increase circulation. Since doing this, it feels like I'm having a whole new experience with my skin as a vital organ of the body. In short, it feels stronger, clearer, and might I say, happier. It's helping me feel more like the happy warrior I've long thought myself to be.

Last edited:

Wayne

Interesting. I just recently added magnesium oil. My doc would not be happy with me. He says Lyme and Protomyzoa Rehumatica usE magnesium to help proliferate themselves. It helps form biofilms too. There are other docs that think calcium and iron are the "cause". I think my avoiding magnesium for so long has caused more problems than helping. I think I'm really deficient in magnesium now and avoiding it hasn't seemed to make that much difference with eliminating the protozoa. So, I use it a few times a week. I am having lots of inflammation issues and wonder if the DMSO would be doable for me. Thanks for the info.

Issie

Hi Issie,

I definitely think allowing a magnesium deficiency to continue is not wise, but that's just my opinion. I've seen where some Lyme treatments also suggest not doing anything that would build up collagen, since Lyme feeds on it. But Stephen Buhner, who's written books on Lyme, believes restoring collagen levels that have been decimated by Lyme should be the first order of business. Differing philosophies. I side with the philosophy of building up the body and restoring its deficiencies (like magnesium) while at the same time reducing the Lyme pathogen load that creates those very deficiencies in the first place.

BTW, Buhner believes all the symptoms experienced by Lyme patients is a result of the bacteria attacking the collagen in the body. Apparently, the brain has lots of collagen. This is another area where I think DMSO can be of benefit. If Lyme has significantly the collagen levels in the brain, it has likely caused a great deal of damage. DMSO has the documented ability to repair the brain. Which is probably why it's been documented to improve all kinds of "mental" diseases, like schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, add, OCD, autism, etc. For me, so much of ME/CFS keeps coming back to the brain, and of course, its connection to the ANS.

Wayne

I ran across this testimonial (copy below) regarding using IV DMSO to treat Lyme induced arthritis... Something I forgot to mention earlier: DMSO can be applied topically, ingested internally, or administered through an IV. Dr. Stanley Jacobs, sometimes referred to as the "father of DMSO" and who researched it for decades, took one teaspoon daily for over 30 years and never had a cold during that whole time. Of note, DMSO is only approved in the US for use in the treatment of interstitial cystitis. IV DMSO is approved for use in Canada as a treatment for scleroderma.
For Lyme Disease induced Rheumatoid Arthritis/Osteoarthritis, or any form of arthritis, brought on by Lyme Disease... please know that there is incredible help for putting it into remission and stops it's progression. I just returned from Mexico May 22-25,2016..where I received DMSO IV therapy which took away all my inflammation/pain. If anyone is truly interested in knowing this info, please private msg me. This has changed my life and is just another piece of the puzzle in getting my life back. Very affordable and doable!

Last edited:

Issie

Hi Issie,

I definitely think allowing a magnesium deficiency to continue is not wise, but that's just my opinion. I've seen where some Lyme treatments also suggest not doing anything that would build up collagen, since Lyme feeds on it. But Stephen Buhner, who's written books on Lyme, believes restoring collagen levels that have been decimated by Lyme should be the first order of business. Differing philosophies. I side with the philosophy of building up the body and restoring its deficiencies (like magnesium) while at the same time reducing the Lyme pathogen load that creates those very deficiencies in the first place.

BTW, Buhner believes all the symptoms experienced by Lyme patients is a result of the bacteria attacking the collagen in the body. Apparently, the brain has lots of collagen. This is another area where I think DMSO can be of benefit. If Lyme has significantly the collagen levels in the brain, it has likely caused a great deal of damage. DMSO has the documented ability to repair the brain. Which is probably why it's been documented to improve all kinds of "mental" diseases, like schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, add, OCD, autism, etc. For me, so much of ME/CFS keeps coming back to the brain, and of course, its connection to the ANS.
Wow, I have EDS and a definite collagen issue. Having 2 types of protozoa and another co infection....having been off magnesium supplements for 5 years and doing protozoa treatment. ...and still having issues - this may be the piece I'm missing. I need to look back and see if you listed the preferred DMSO brand - Amazon needs my order. LoL! Also having a pretty severe case of HyperPOTS and MCAS - this may help. The article with the guy and his heart issues.........sounds just like Kounis Syndrome (which I have), Mast cells "attack" the heart. I had a very scarey stay in the hospital because of it.

Issie

Wayne

Wow, I have EDS and a definite collagen issue.

Issie, collagen is a big issue for me right now, and a TOP priority. One thing that helps collagen synthesis "immensely" is adequate Vitamin C intake--much more than is normally recommended. I'm now taking about 5-10 grams of Vit. C per day. But like most things, I worked up slowly.

. Here's a short snippet from THIS ARTICLE on collagen and Vitamin C.
There is even more collagen in the skin, bones, teeth, blood vessels, eye, heart, and, in fact, essentially all parts of the body. Collagen as strong white fibers, stronger than steel wire of the same weight, and as yellow elastic networks (called elastin), usually together with macropolysaccharides, constitutes the connective tissue that holds our bodies together.
One thing I do after I apply DMSO to my skin in the morning and evening, is to put 1-2 grams of sodium ascorbate in my mouth, add about ten drops of DMSO, 1 drop of oregano oil, and one drop of iodine tincture. I hold it it my mouth for several minutes, slowly swallowing it over a period of 3+ minutes. Depending on whether I need to talk or not. lol

Benefits: My teeth, gums and oral and jaw "pain syndromes" have all improved significantly. I've also come to believe I'll no longer need to make regular dental visits. The DMSO dissolves plaque and fights oral infections. The vitamin C and other supplements I'm taking (like taurine), should keep my teeth healthy.

One thing I learned recently is that even cavities can heal themselves if given the proper care and nutrition. I'm just now getting ready to get back onto a regular bone broth regimen, which is really excellent for collagen health. Here's a LINK to a comprehensive article on the connection between collagen and bone broths. The word collagen comes up 37 times in the article.

I've run across a number of references to the benefits of mixing DMSO with Vitamin C, including using it for various problems with the skin--which has a lot of collagen. Most notable was a rather detailed protocol of using DMSO and Vit. C to treat cancer. Apparently, DMSO has an affinity for cancer cells, and goes right to them. When DMSO carries Vit. C along with it, a lot of the Vit. C is taken up in large quantities by the cancer cells. This is because cancer thrives on sugar, and Vit. C has an almost identical molecular structure to sugar.

Last edited:

Issie

Issie, collagen is a big issue for me right now, and a TOP priority. One thing that helps collagen synthesis "immensely" is adequate Vitamin C intake--much more than is normally recommended. I'm now taking about 5-10 grams of Vit. C per day. But like most things, I worked up slowly.

. Here's a short snippet from THIS ARTICLE on collagen and Vitamin C.
One thing I do after I apply DMSO to my skin in the morning and evening, is to put 1-2 grams of sodium ascorbate in my mouth, add about ten drops of DMSO, 1 drop of oregano oil, and one drop of iodine tincture. I hold it it my mouth for several minutes, slowly swallowing it over a period of 3+ minutes. Depending on whether I need to talk or not. lol

Benefits: My teeth, gums and oral and jaw "pain syndromes" have all improved significantly. I've also come to believe I'll no longer need to make regular dental visits. The DMSO dissolves plaque and fights oral infections. The vitamin C and other supplements I'm taking (like taurine), should keep my teeth healthy.

One thing I learned recently is that even cavities can heal themselves if given the proper care and nutrition. I'm just now getting ready to get back onto a regular bone broth regimen, which is really excellent for collagen health. Here's a LINK to a comprehensive article on the connection between collagen and bone broths. The word collagen comes up 37 times in the article.

I've run across a number of references to the benefits of mixing DMSO with Vitamin C, including using it for various problems with the skin--which has a lot of collagen. Most notable was a rather detailed protocol of using DMSO and Vit. C to treat cancer. Apparently, DMSO has an affinity for cancer cells, and goes right to them. When DMSO carries Vit. C along with it, a lot of the Vit. C is taken up in large quantities by the cancer cells. This is because cancer thrives on sugar, and Vit. C has an almost identical molecular structure to sugar.
I'd be afraid the Ascorbic acid would erode my enamel along with the plaque. I have recently started using Camu and noni powder in my smoothie. Good results so far.

I recently tried a very pure source of Beef Gelatin. Was a huge mistake for me. I'm not digesting animal proteins well. Have been mostly vegan for over 4 years now. I found out that if you have issues with glutamate - it can up it even more. Since I suspect that is connected to the overactive sympathetic system - it was not a good experience. Also recently received an article on them finding lead even in organic bone broth bought from health stores. So, for now will stick with being mostly vegan.

Issie

Last edited:

Issie

I noticed some using MMS along with DMSO. Anyone try this? Using MMS, was not a good experience for me taken internally. I found my MCAS got worse. I started reacting to everything and my veins started breaking easily. It puts you in a more oxidative state and could potentially cause more free radical activity. But would kill pathogens. But my body couldn't handle it. Everything got worse and it has set me back.

Issie

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
https://www.lymedisease.org/claritin-lyme-balf-2/
What I read said Claritin.

I don't regularly read PR. Don't know what you talked about over there. Bunch of people thinking they know everything and trying to see who can out talk one another. We're not in a race trying to be smarter than someone else or trying to flex our muscles to see who knows more......we should be trying to help one another without being a bully or a know it all. Everyone is in a different phase of learning and knowledge and NO one knows it all. There are ways to have discussions of differences of opinion without trying to out shine someone else. And PR people seem to not have the skill. (Sorry Cort, I know it was your baby. I never joined over there.)

Issie
I'm glad you're here :)

Wayne

I'm especially intrigued by the ability of DMSO to significantly improve brain function in a variety of conditions. I've seen many references online to it being remarkably helpful for strokes, schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive behavior, dementia, Alzheimer's, etc.

These short snippets below from THIS ARTICLE encapsulate much of those references I've run across. It also includes some of the best historical description of how DMSO was discovered, and how it became persecuted by the powers that be. Of note, Dr. Jacobs recently died at the age of 91.

... Stanley Jacob, MD, a pioneering DMSO researcher and member of the Life Extension Foundation’s Scientific Advisory Board. Having conducted research on DMSO and its many medical uses since the early 1960s, Dr. Jacob is often called “the father of DMSO” in honor of his life’s work in trying to bring this unique compound to the forefront of contemporary medicine.

According to Dr. Jacob, “DMSO is a potent free-radical scavenger and diuretic that reduces swelling and improves blood supply to the brain. This improves blood oxygenation to brain tissue. ...

Dr. Stanley Jacob currently serves as the Chairman of Abela Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Based in Orange County, California, Abela Pharmaceuticals was formed in 2005 for the purpose of developing and clinically testing DMSO and DMSO-related products. The company’s mission is to bring DMSO to market for the treatment of injuries and conditions affecting the central nervous system, including traumatic brain injury, stroke, and Alzheimer’s disease.​

Issie

Started it last night and put more on this morning. So far, so good. Info I read said it could take awhile for full effect. My neck isn't as stiff or achy. We will see how it goes.

Issie

Wayne

So far, so good.

Hi Issie,

Happy to hear it's starting out very well for you. Just a cautionary note: DMSO increases cell wall permeability, allowing toxins that may have been trapped inside the cells to finally escape. If this happens too fast, it can create various kinds of detox reactions. DMSO can initiate heavy metal detox as well; it's apparently the sulfur component that can bind to mercury and other heavy metals and start transporting them out of the body. Wouldn't want to do this too quickly either. Below is a snippet on this process. -- I'll look forward to hearing how it progresses for you.

DMSO Therapy – Treatment For Arthritis Pain, Muscle Inflammation, Sulfur Deficiency

Yes. DMSO can assist in Heavy Metal Detoxification. Heavy metals (mercury, lead, aluminum, cadmium, arsenic, nickel) are very difficult to detoxify from, and they are the root of many diseases. Sulfur is a mineral and a major ingredient of certain amino acids, which bind with minerals or heavy metals. Body drops heavy metals for minerals, which in this case would be sulfur. Amino acids substitute sulfur for toxic heavy metals, bind with them, and eliminate them via urination, defecation and sweating.Also, DMSO is efficient at scavenging free radicals. It is perfect anti-oxidant.

Last edited:

Issie

Thanks for heads up. I'll see how it goes. Heavy metal detox was my next in line thing to do. Good to know this should help. I did read that it needs to be reapplied about every 6 hours for pain.

Issie

Wayne

Here's what looks to be a good resource (copyright 2013). I just put in a purchase request for it at our local library system. This LINK will take you to 102 comments on Amazon.

31ZTavhiKmL._AC_UL115_.jpg

This is an older 1993 book by Morton Walker. Here's a LINK to 192 comments on Amazon.

51AE8USTbYL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This gets more and more interesting. I am starting again on magnesium oil....I am so sensitive right now. I get nauseous quickly but it should pass...

Issie

I use magnesium oil too. It took awhile before I noticed anything with it. My old saying.....go low and slow. Listen to your body.

Nothing bad with the DMSO so far. Have been helping move furniture and should be in agony......but not as bad as I had expected. So maybe it's helping.

Issie

Issie

This gets more and more interesting. I am starting again on magnesium oil....I am so sensitive right now. I get nauseous quickly but it should pass...
I got a note from a doc today and he really feels grains are a huge issue for us that have all our problems. There is definitely a connection to our gut ecology. And he feels that is a huge part of the autoimmune dysfunction too. Have you eliminated grains? It's hard to do. When you read labels, they are in everything. Most supplements and medicines too. This will be a challenge for me, but worth a try. Hope you quit reacting so bad. I had to up my GastroCrom and that response us settling down for me. I also went back on my D Earth and Takesumi charcoal to help carry things out instead of recirculate.
Issie

Wayne

These snippets are from a fairly long testimonial at THIS SITE. I found it quite interesting, especially the part at the end when she began to experience Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) symptoms similar to CFS and Fibromyalgia. When she did another IV DMSO session, all those autoimmune symptoms cleared up as well. That particular part of her story made me wonder whether any number of autoimmune conditions can possibly bring on CFS-like symptoms, and perhaps be alleviated by IV DMSO.

All other Western countries use DMSO to treat Rheumatoid and Osteo arthritis. Even second and third world countries use it. Why does America not use it? Because it’s cheap and they don’t have the patent on it.

I had an old neck-injury in high school that I suffered with - and had learned to live with. In my 20’s and 30’s that suffering was just a stiff neck, but as my arthritis began to show up it began to really cause pain, and a complete inability to turn my head in any direction without pain. My ankles, hands, and elbows were also causing me pain, but no deformity yet like my brother’s had.

Within the first ten minutes of my first IV of DMSO, I could feel an amazing difference. No pain. No stiffness. I started crying, just from the joy of it. By the time the full-hour of drip was over, I had no pain anywhere!

One woman told me her American MD told her to get the treatment in Mexico, but that if she told anyone who recommended it he would deny it and call her a liar. By law they are not allowed to recommend DMSO, even if they know about it. And most don’t know anything except what they read in medical journals, written by a medical community who has a lot to lose if we all learn how wonderful and effective this treatment really is.
---

One last story.

Three years ago, after a very stressful two years without going to get a DMSO treatment, I began to really be sick, but it didn’t feel like RA, or at least what I had experienced before. I was out of energy, began to lose all range of motion, and I had no strength in my arms and thighs. I could not reach to brush my hair, or get myself out of the tub. I had to sit down to cook.

My husband insisted I see a doctor. I was tested for everything from polio to MS and some other diseases I had never heard of.

All tests came back negative. Of course, when I filled out the paperwork for the doctor, I mentioned that I had RA and what my numbers were the last time I had been tested in Mexico. And since no one ever mentioned RA at all, I figured they had ruled it out - that my arthritis was not causing all these problems. I trusted them to know what they were doing.

Boy, was I wrong. -- While waiting for test results (which took three weeks to get back) I decided to try some natural medicines that might help. I improved a tiny bit, but still had to be helped in and out of bed, the tub, and couldn’t put on my own clothes without help.

After 8 months of this, I was beginning to think this was “IT” for me. After I got the results back from all the tests and was asked to come in for more, I decided that maybe I should go get a DMSO treatment since it had been so long. I headed for Mexico.

When the doctor saw my condition, he assured me that it could well be that my numbers had risen during my long two-year absence. He asked if it had been a stressful time and I told him it had, but asked him was there any way my RA could have changed so radically in such a short time. He assured me it could change in a matter of days depending on my circumstances.

He said, “I cannot be sure that these problems are from your RA, but in one hour, you will know.”

HE WAS RIGHT!!!! Within ten minutes of placing the IV into my vein, I knew he was right. ALL THAT PAIN WAS GONE!!! All of it!! I sat and cried.

All I had been through, and put others through - and all I had needed was my DMSO treatment!

I couldn’t believe it. I was able to reach again. I could bend and squat - after receiving one hour-long IV-drip of DMSO.

In the two years I had not gone for a treatment my numbers had gone up 3 points, as a result of stress over time. Of course, during those 8 months of illness, my muscles had atrophied some and it has taken a couple of years for me to get all my strength back, but the pain was gone.

NEVER WILL I WAIT SO LONG AGAIN!​

Last edited:

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources