Tom Hennessy and International Advocacy/Awareness Day
Tom Hennessy created International ME/CFS/FM Advocacy day over 30 years ago. A fierce and creative fighter, Tom’s advocacy career was unfortunately curtailed by a tremendously difficult case of ME/CFS. To this day I wonder how much further we would have been along if only Tom had remained healthier. Tom died in 2013. Read a tribute to him on the day he started.
Participate with #MEAction
#MEAction, as always, has a full list of things to do to celebrate ME/CFS, spread awareness and make a difference.
- Attend #MEAction’s #Millions Missing Global Event at 12pm PT, 3 pm ET, 7pm GMT
- Use #ME Actions Virtual Toolkit to share your story on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube––with the hashtag #MillionsMissing: Tag #MEAction: @MEActnet so that #MEAction can re-share your stories.
- Take Action – #MEAction has a full list of actions you can take you can take to make a difference.
Participate in the Bateman Horne Center’s Hour of Hope (11 am MDT)
- Welcome and ME/CFS and FM Status Update
- Poem reading: “Sometimes Fibromyalgia Feels Like”
- Moderated Discussion with Drs. Bateman, Yellman, and Vernon
- Messages of Hope Video
- Live Interactive Messages of Hope (Bring Your Sign and Shoes!)
- Message to the Community
- Believing the Patient/Loved One, by Meredith Mehner
- Poem reading: “It Takes Courage”
- BHC’s Messages of Hope to You
Check out Rivka Solomon’s “Brief But Spectacular Take”
Rivka’s “Brief But Spectacular Take” on ME/CFS has been picked up by major media outlets.
Rivka followed that up with a moving editorial in the Washington Post:
Check out Whitney Dafoe’s Stuff
You could very fruitfully spend Awareness Day by simply checking out what Whitney Dafoe has done since his re-emergence after taking Abilify. He has been on a tear, writing trenchant Facebook posts, creating inspiring protest playlists, and telling his story in intimate fashion in a published journal. Plus, check out Tracie White’s book on Ron Davis’s search for a cure for Whitney – see below.
- Facebook Posts – the overriding theme is to come together and support each other. Check out his trenchant and provocative posts including: What to call ME/CFS (April 12th), The Naked Self (March 31st), New Romantic Adventures (March 11th, March 25th) and others.
Check out Whitney’s Story
Make sure you don’t miss another one by registering for our free ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia blogs here...
Tell us how your coronavirus vaccination went and find out how other people with ME/CFS and/or FM fared with their coronavirus vaccination in Health Rising’s Coronavirus Vaccine Side Effects Poll.