Tom Hennessy and International Advocacy/Awareness Day
Tom Hennessy created International ME/CFS/FM Advocacy day over 30 years ago. A fierce and creative fighter, Tom’s advocacy career was unfortunately curtailed by a tremendously difficult case of ME/CFS. To this day I wonder how much further we would have been along if only Tom had remained healthier. Tom died in 2013. Read a tribute to him on the day he started.
Participate with #MEAction
#MEAction, as always, has a full list of things to do to celebrate ME/CFS, spread awareness and make a difference.
- Attend #MEAction’s #Millions Missing Global Event at 12pm PT, 3 pm ET, 7pm GMT
- Use #ME Actions Virtual Toolkit to share your story on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube––with the hashtag #MillionsMissing: Tag #MEAction: @MEActnet so that #MEAction can re-share your stories.
- Take Action – #MEAction has a full list of actions you can take you can take to make a difference.
Participate in the Bateman Horne Center’s Hour of Hope (11 am MDT)
- Welcome and ME/CFS and FM Status Update
- Poem reading: “Sometimes Fibromyalgia Feels Like”
- Moderated Discussion with Drs. Bateman, Yellman, and Vernon
- Messages of Hope Video
- Live Interactive Messages of Hope (Bring Your Sign and Shoes!)
- Message to the Community
- Believing the Patient/Loved One, by Meredith Mehner
- Poem reading: “It Takes Courage”
- BHC’s Messages of Hope to You
Check out Rivka Solomon’s “Brief But Spectacular Take”
Rivka’s “Brief But Spectacular Take” on ME/CFS has been picked up by major media outlets.
Rivka followed that up with a moving editorial in the Washington Post:
Check out Whitney Dafoe’s Stuff
You could very fruitfully spend Awareness Day by simply checking out what Whitney Dafoe has done since his re-emergence after taking Abilify. He has been on a tear, writing trenchant Facebook posts, creating inspiring protest playlists, and telling his story in intimate fashion in a published journal. Plus, check out Tracie White’s book on Ron Davis’s search for a cure for Whitney – see below.
- Facebook Posts – the overriding theme is to come together and support each other. Check out his trenchant and provocative posts including: What to call ME/CFS (April 12th), The Naked Self (March 31st), New Romantic Adventures (March 11th, March 25th) and others.
Check out Whitney’s Story