We don’t need a lot. Health Rising is not a big operation – it consists of just two employees: Stavya, our tech guru (whose work is going to be highlighted very soon) and myself. With its in-depth reporting and the consistent stream of reporting, though, Health Rising occupies a unique place in the ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, and long-COVID universes.
Providing as comprehensive and accurate information on the latest research and treatment findings as possible has been our goal since day one. That was the goal I had almost 2 decades ago when, rabid for information on these puzzling illnesses, I looked around the web and saw the same short, and to my mind, unilluminating reports again and again. I wanted to dig deeper and share my personal quest to understand these diseases with everyone free of charge. Phoenix Rising, and later Health Rising, was the result.
Almost 20 years later, there is more and more to report on every month and honestly, it’s getting hard to keep up. (On that note – we welcome guest bloggers who are willing to take deep dives into the research options, treatment options, books, their personal stories, etc. Please use the Contact Us link :))
Over the past month and a half – while virtually ignoring a wealth of new data on long COVID – Health Rising has published the following that:
- Informed the ME/CFS community of an extraordinary undertaking – an $8 million mitochondrial drug trial – that’s underway.
- Highlighted one of the most startling findings in memory – that natural killer cells – long the province of ME/CFS research – may be killing the small nerve fibers in fibromyalgia.
- Dug into the first drug (Mestinon) shown to move the needle on energy production during exercise in ME/CFS.
- Reported that the most potentially important study in the history of ME/CFS – Avindra Nath’s multi-week NIH study – appeared to be a success!
Brought news that a new type of herpesvirus (herpes simplex virus) that’s never been associated with ME/CFS or FM had been documented in FM patients’ guts.
- Alerted the ME/CFS community in the U.S. to a free 5-year study to assess whether they have antibodies to the coronavirus and tick-borne pathogens.
- Reported on an exciting breakthrough in Gulf War Illness – a disease with similar symptoms to ME/CFS/FM – and asked what it might mean for these diseases.
- Examined a promising mouse model under development for ME/CFS and probed it for the insights into energy production problems it may already be producing.
- Brought to light a new possible explanation for the exercise problems in long COVID and ME/CFS – a dramatic change in types of muscle fibers being produced.
While Health Rising is provided for free, producing it is not without cost. Health Rising is not a hobby website or something that Stavya or I do in our free time. It provides for my livelihood and supports Stavya as well. That’s why your contributions are essential to keeping HR on the web.
This again is why we love recurring donations. Small, medium, or large – they really add up over time. They’re a way to pretty painlessly make a big difference with Health Rising. Sign up for a $5 or $10 (or more) recurring monthly donation – you’ll probably hardly notice it, but that little bit – multiplied many times over – provides a vital source of revenue for Health Rising.
Or simply grace us with a one-time donation via Paypal or check. We love those too. Checkd made out to Health Rising are gratefully received at
Cort Johnson, 404 Boulder Hwy, PO Box 91245, Henderson, NV 89015.
This drive will last three weeks and we hope to raise $15,000.
HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT