We hear more and more now about people recovering from chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), and similar diseases but when Dan Neuffer recovered over a decade ago, he’d never heard of anyone recovering from these diseases.
It didn’t come easy. At his worst during his 7-year journey with ME/CFS, Dan was bedbound and saw no hope of ever recovering. Over time, though, he fully recovered using a protocol he developed after studying the diseases. When about 10 years ago he started interviewing people who had recovered he was the only one I knew doing that.
Using the ideas he’d gained from his research and his own experience, Dan wrote “CFS Unravelled: Get Well By Treating The Cause Not Just The Symptoms Of CFS, Fibromyalgia, POTS & Related Syndromes” in 2013 and it was a hit – quickly reaching the top spot in its category on Amazon.
Karen Lee Richards, the founder of the National Fibromyalgia Association wrote that after studying these diseases for 25 years she felt that Dan had done ‘the best job I’ve seen to date of putting all the pieces together into one comprehensive explanation. His hypothesis clearly explains why such a variety of “causes” or triggers can all result in the same illness.” Since it was published, the highly-rated book has garnered over 400 reviews on Amazon.
Since then, Dan published “Discover Hope: 7 Steps to Discover Hope and Cope Better” – which is now available as a free download from his website.
Over time, Dan created the online ANS Rewire program, which has been highly touted by medical professionals. Dan doesn’t believe there’s a one-step-fits-all approach to these diseases. Instead, his approach blends three facets together in unique ways for each individual:
- Biomedical – hormonal, nutritional support, treating physical dysfunctions and infections
- Mind/Body – neuroplasticity of the mind, psychological stressors
- Somato-Neurological – neuroplasticity of the body, physiological stressors, somatic feedback
A three-part video series, “Learn How Recovery Is Possible“, provides a good introduction to Dan’s ideas. Dan has also contributed several, at times provocative, blogs to Health Rising over time.
- A Reluctant Patient: How Dan Neuffer’s Medical Past Almost Cost Him His Life
- A Positive Prognosis for CFS/FM/POTS. (Does it Help?)
- When Retreat Means Advance: A Recovered Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Fibromyalgia Patient Looks Back
- Nobody Knows What Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Fibromyalgia is Really Like (Probably Not Even You)
- Do People Really Recover From ME/CFS and/or Fibromyalgia? An Inquiry
- Unraveling the Cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia? Recovered Author Asserts Single System to Blame
As you’ll see in this 4-part interview series, Dan, a former physicist, has thought deeply about ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, etc. recovery, how and why it happens, and how possible it is. The long interview – about 2 1/2 hours (!) – will be released in segments over the next month.
In the first part, we talk about Dan’s descent into ME/CFS, some of the bizarre symptoms he experienced, why he resisted being diagnosed with the disease, how ill he got, and how he came up with his conception of ME/CFS. (Please try to ignore my attempts to keep my energy up by eating something as the interview proceeds!)
Links to recovery stories:
Health Rising is not affiliated in any way or receive any funding from ANS Rewire
Like the Interview? Please Support Health Rising and Keep the Information Flowing
HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT