The Grand Goal
Health Rising’s goal is no different from that of other ME/CFS/FM organizations – to help bring about the end of chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and fibromyalgia (FM). Some organizations support ME/CFS by funding research. Health Rising supports that goal by keeping the community engaged in the research going on, by empowering research efforts, and by providing information on the latest treatment options.
Keeping the Community Engaged
Keeping the ME/CFS/FM community engaged in the evolving fields of ME/CFS and FM with our articles is vital to the success of this field. Spelling out the needs that do exist is a critical part of Health Rising’s mission but so is providing hope by making clear that exciting work is being done, new people are joining these fields, and advances are being made.
Empowering the research foundations that are making vital discoveries needed to cure ME/CFS/FM is one of Health Rising’s key goals. You can’t support, after all, what you don’t know about. By providing, we think, the clearest and best information available on their work Health Rising provides an important gateway function. In fact, Health Rising’s vital role in empowering the work that is making a difference in ME/CFS, is by itself a great reason to support Health Rising. The better Health Rising does – the better these organizations and their work to end ME/CFS will do.
Providing treatment information that supplies new options, relieves suffering and improves the lives of people with these diseases is another key commitment. If a treatment breakthrough occurs, Health Rising is committed to covering it quickly and comprehensively.
Looking Back at 2018
Both ME/CFS and fibromyalgia are still with us but some novel things did happen this year, and surprisingly enough, they involved possible treatments. For the first time in decades, a new drug (Cortene) is being tested in ME/CFS, plus a two-drug trial by longtime researcher and doctor, Nancy Klimas, is underway. On the fibromyalgia side, the huge infusion of money the federal government is providing for the hunt for 15 new pain drugs over the next five years provides much hope for better pain relief.
When considering where to put your precious money, please ask yourself where else the following topics were given the kind of comprehensive reporting they received on Health Rising. HR’s articles are also longer than others on the internet because we strive to provide a balanced analysis that puts research and treatment findings into context and provide you with the resources you need to benefit from them.
Some of the highlights covered by Health Rising this year included:
- The Cortene Trial – a 4-blog series described how an unusual occurrence for ME/CFS – a new drug trial and a new hypothesis – came to be.
- Jarred Younger’s Work – a 3-blog series examined Younger’s neuroinflammation, his search to determine if immune cells are invading ME/CFS patients’ brains, and his study of a new, possibly much more effective form of naltrexone.
- The Metabolic Trap Hypothesis – a 2-blog series covered a brand new hypothesis from Robert Phair that has got Ron Davis excited. Now being tested by Davis at Stanford.
- The Dysautonomia Conference – a 7-blog series covered a wealth of information on dysautonomia and POTS including IVIG, new autoimmune results, spinal fluid leaks, sticky blood, and others.
- Nancy Klimas’s New ME/CFS Clinical Trial – clinical trials are rare in ME/CFS; clinical trials informed by models employing hundreds of millions of data points are even rarer. Dr. Klimas’s two-drug ME/CFS trial is believed to be underway now.
- Fibromyalgia and Neuroinflammation – just after Younger finds neuroinflammation in ME/CFS, another study finds it in fibromyalgia – in the same areas of the brain.
Small Website: Big Impact – Unique Resource
Over 600,000 users visited the more than 1,600 articles and resources found on Health Rising over the last year, producing over 1,500,000 page views. Health Rising did that on a small budget which included one full-time person and one part-time person working at very low rates (See our financial statements here).
BIG (little) Fundraising Drive
We call this the BIG (little) Fundraising drive because small amounts of money make a big difference for HR. We believe that your return on investment when you invest in HR can’t be matched anywhere else. Our overhead, after all, is incredibly small. Despite the fact that we feel we do professional work we don’t pay anything close to professional salaries. (Check out our financial statement.)
We do vitally need your help, though. The more you support us the better we can spread the word, provide vital resources and help bring about a world without ME/CFS and FM. Our goal is to raise $35,000 – peanuts for many organizations but which would empower us in ways that I assure you will see and appreciate. 🙂
10 Ways to Support Health Rising
A little bit goes a long way at Health Rising
(1) Become a Recurring PayPal Donor – Recurring donors provide the financial bedrock for Health Rising. To become a recurring donor simply go the right sidebar of any page, click the amount you would like to donate, and hit the Subscribe button.
(2) Already a Recurring PayPal Donor? Want to increase your donation? Simply send me an email stating that and I will stop your current donation and you can restart it.
(3) Become a Recurring Donor with Online Banking (non-PayPal) – Don’t want to use PayPal? Use Bill Pay or similar programs at your bank.
(4) Make a One-Time PayPal Donation — One-time donations provide important one-time cash infusions to Health Rising. You can make a one-time donation by clicking on the Donate button in the right sidebar.
HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT
(5) One-Time Checks! – We Love checks! Please make out checks to Health Rising and send them to us:
2555 Hampton Rd Unit 6308
Henderson NV, 89052
(6) Bothered by Currency Conversion Charges? Use Bitcoin and Avoid Them – Use Health Rising’s Coinbase Bitcoins account and save on currency conversion charges on your one-time donation. Our Bitcoin address is 18D9JkiGxPcpx8RYNcG5p2Be1joU9J6v5D
Other Ways to Help
(7) Shopping on Amazon.com for HR – Earn money for Health Rising by shopping on Amazon.com. This nets us a commission of 4% to 10% (The exact percentage is determined by Amazon). U.S. residents can use the Amazon.com search bar on the right sidebar of the page.
(8) Amazon Gift Card – Don’t like using PayPal? How about donating an Amazon gift card?
(9) Provide a Place to Stay – Trips to the East coast to attend conferences and meet with researchers and doctors are expensive. If you live in the Midwest, South or East Coast and can provide shelter for a night or two for me and two dogs, please let us know using the contact form.
(10) Volunteering – Interested in writing blogs, providing help with accounting, helping us manage or produce projects? How about creating a new project? Contact us using our contact form (click on Contact Us in the top menu bar).
Make sure you don’t miss another by registering for our free ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia blogs here..